Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Leaving Soon to Teach English in Albania for Two Years.


I have recently retired from a career in education and business.   When I turn 68 in April  I will be in Albania as a volunteer in the Peace Corps.  One of my friends suggested that I made this decision to "find myself" --- as if I had just left college.  I was mildly offended and abruptly replied that I was going to use my experiences to make a contribution. But as my day of departure approaches I am not so sure anymore.  Questions are flooding into my mind - How will I explain the kaleidoscope of values that represent me and my country?  How will I respond to questions about the thousand examples of the mixed values that America projects around the world at internet speed?  How would my friends describe the values that represent who we are as Americans?  (Please post your thoughts!) And what life stories and values will I discover in Albania?

I am convinced that we are all on a spiral journey that is dynamic but which also has predictability and directionality. (Refer to the chart below and URL linked to the chart).  Over time and given our life situation our perspectives and values evolve.   And in a similar way so does collective culture - locally, nationally, and globally.

I have mixed feelings.  It is painful to leave the comfort of my home, to be far from those I love, and will no longer be able to rely on the  familiar beliefs and patterns that guide my behavior.On the other hand, it will be  exciting to form new relationships with others with  different history, language, and cultural expressions.

I have two major goals.  My mission in Albania is to teach English – to provide a valuable skill needed as a country seeks to deal with its present circumstances and emerge into modernity from a predominately traditional culture that is hardened from fifty years under a repressive communist dictatorship.   Additionally my mission is to notice how circumstances trigger my own cultural values and impact my personal  spiral of development.

Some of my discoveries will be chronicled here.  Please comment.  Your perspectives are a valuable part of my journey.
The remnants of bunkers reflect an older worldview (red to amber) even while Albania seeks to modernize (orange) economic assets along their beautiful Adriatic coast. 

4 comments:

  1. David,
    I'm so excited for you and the Albanians. I admire the vulnerability and self doubt you express in your inaugural post. So unexpected, realistic, and refreshing. Of course you will make a contribution (probably bigger than you will ever realize) and of course you will likely learn and grow yourself in the process, especially as you remain as open as you now sound. Godspeed. Looking forward to your posts.
    Your friend and colleague,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, your have posted the first comment on my first blog! I look forward to staying in touch with you. I am glad to know you are familiar with SDI - did you notice the the color of my blog is teal? - my aspiration!

      Delete
  2. Hi David,
    Here is a link to an op-ed piece by David Brooks, discussing our deepest selves. I thought of you - certainly a man of great depth! Thank you for challenging us all to think beyond where we are - even if we don't actually take off for the far corners of the world. You are doing great things already. Also, I visited your location through google maps - lovely - I really like the mountains.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/opinion/brooks-the-deepest-self.html?_r=0 (I hope this works - if not, let me know and I will try again). Keep posting! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David
    Thanks for your updates and it's good to tag along on the road less traveled.
    Missed seeing you in the choir yesterday but knowing you're doing good works elsewhere makes up for it.
    Remember to look both ways before crossing the street.
    Peace,
    John

    ReplyDelete