Saturday, April 19, 2014

CAN I BREW YOU A CUP OF TEA?

I have made an interesting discovery here in Albania.  One of the habits I brought with me to Albania was my daily consumption of tea which often started with a strong English breakfast tea and then followed up during the day with green tea.  I even brought my own tea bags with me.  Early in the stay with my host family I learned the Albanian word for tea which conveniently is “chai” and I drew up the courage to ask for hot-water so I could make tea.  It is against this family’s tradition for men to make their own food or drink, except it seems to pour alcohol.  So Dashurie insisted that she serve Mal Chai – or mountain tea.  I reluctantly accepted her hospitality and put my treasured tea bags back into my luggage.
not my large cup (my camera is not working)
Upon first taste I recognized it as an herb tea and while not as strong as black tea, it was flavorful and very enjoyable with a teaspoon of sugar.  For the last several weeks Dashurie has taken the dried branches and leaves and made a pot of tea for me when I come home from training. I take it gladly and continue to drink  into the night.  Noticing my particularly large consumption, I have now been provided with a very large tea cup which appears near me whenever I am in the central sitting room, where I am drinking it now as I write  this post. 

I decided to check ‘MOUNTAIN TEA” on the internet and here is what I have discovered on Wikipedia.

Sideritis also known as ironwort, mountain tea and shepherd's tea is a genus of flowering plants well known for their use as herbal medicine, commonly as an herbal tea. They are abundant in Mediterranean regions.

In Greek "Sideritis" can be literally translated as "he who is or has the iron". In ancient times Sideritis was a generic reference for plants capable of healing wounds caused by iron weapons during battles. However others hold that the name stems from the shape of the sepal which resembles the tip of a spear.

Very popular in Greece, Albania, Bulgaria and Macedonia, the plant is used as an herb either for the preparation of herbal teas, or for its aromatic properties in local cuisines. The herbal tea is commonly prepared by boiling the stems, leaves and flowers in a pot of water, then often serving with honey and lemon.
Ironwort has been traditionally used to aid digestion, strengthen the immune system and suppress common cold, the flu and other viruses, allergies and shortness of breath, sinus congestion, even pain and mild anxiety.

Scientists have suggested that the popular pronouncement of ironwort as panacea may have some basis in fact. Studies indicate a positive effect on many common ailments. Ironwort is known scientifically to be anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant. Significant research has been done on ironwort confirming its popular use to prevent colds, flu, and allergies. Most of this research has taken place in universities in the Netherlands and in Greece, Turkey, Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Albania, where the plant is indigenous. Also, modern tests have indicated that the herbal tea helps in the prevention of osteoporosis, while its anti-oxidant properties may aid in the prevention of cancer.

And so, my friends, when I return home I will have these dried branches in my luggage and will brew this wonderful tea for you when we are again together!  

4 comments:

  1. Hi David
    Cheers to you when I raise my next cup of chai spice black tea - great aroma but needs 2 bags.
    Thinking of you on this Easter weekend and send metta for continued good health to match your vibrant spirit.
    Peace,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story. So much hospitality. And you, David, are invited again to 'empty your cup.' I look forward to future posts, and sipping mal chai with you some day.
    Warmly,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello David,

    Having stayed in East German villages I have a sense of the life in your Albanian town. Though it appears the isolating topography and various invaders are leaving an indelible imprint on this part of the world. But your presence will open a window to the West showing a different world view. Let's see if it is welcomed and perhaps integrated.

    We would all love to taste that mountain tea. Just hide well so customs does not confiscate it.

    Thank you for opening our eyes to a world so different from ours.

    Best,

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina:

      This is a country in the midst of transition to democratic institutions and a free market economy that can compete globally. Most Albanians are aware of this transition and are at different stages of opportunity and understanding. The larger cities are further along while the villages are not as advanced. I will let you know where I am finally assigned to provide support to this transition. Thanks to you and John for your comments which inspire me to keep writing! I am glad I got to know you both before my departure.

      Delete